Sunday, March 8, 2009

Block Seven Reflection

I was going through the 23 things PD options and was amazed how this would be effective for my colleagues or anybody else for that matter. I was trying some out with my 17 year old son and he was very interested I had to drag him away from the computer so I could continue with what I was doing. The blog I am following is in the Fischbowl, and funny thing was he had a post in 23 things.

I was truly amazed by the speed of technology, I could never had fathom that this would happen. While on that same topic I evaluated where my school was in this technology speed and I was truly disappointed at the stage we are in. We have very little access to computers for our students at the school, only those high school students who are taking Info Pro, Journalism are the ones only allowed to use the computers. None of the classrooms have a computer, never mind an internet connection. Even I don't have an internet connection in my office and I'm supposed to be a Career and Guidance Counsellor. You can see where we are at in my school. Three of the staff members have brand new computers and guess what? they have no idea how to use it! They also have an internet connection, with absolutely no use for it. I guess you can tell I'm frustrated with this topic, but what can I do?

Well, no matter I'll get around the obstacles that are thrown my way.

Getting back to my reflection I think that alot of staff are willing to learn about the uses of the computer, but are not given that chance, I am sure that I can provide a PD for them utilizing '23 things' it simple and they can work at their own speed. I have confidence that they'll be willing to learn and that they could in turn utilize these tools for the students benefit.

There will need to be alot of negotiating done though to get those bosses to understand that we are shortchanging our students by not providring them with the technological skills that they need. I am beginning to wonder if they realize that most of our students don't succeed in post-secondary because they might be shortskilled in the technology area.

4 comments:

  1. I believe that we are in the same boat when it comes down to how our students do not have access to computers. We have a computer lab but not computer teacher. We have ancient laptops that are slower than molasses in January and our internet both in the lab and the wireless in our high school building is down more than it is up. I agree that maybe it is time for us to lobby our admintrators for money that will go a long way if you look at where technology will lead our students in their future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also exploring 23 Things as a PD resource and am finding it extremely valuable. We have been learning the same content thus far and I too believe it would be a worthwhile resource for teachers. As for the admin issue, maybe you can convince admin to take some PD time to become involved in something like 23 Things so they can begin to understand the importance of technology for schools and students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the neat things about something like the 23 Things is that the originator has given permission for anyone to take it and run with their own version. Therefore, you can customize it for your learners and your needs.

    I too like this format as it is in small do-able chunks and for busy educators that is important.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you're right. Someitmes it just take a little push to get things started. Once people see a value for anything, they're more likely to commit to what ever it is. 23 things is a simple way to start a lot of nervous people out on the right path... darct

    ReplyDelete