Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Block Six Reflection

My goodness! I am just worried now about my prior work, did I use authentic sites to quote my sources?

I was just discussing this concept with the vice-principal who thinks that it is important to teach the students critical literacy. I can attest to that since I see alot of students come through my Info Pro classes with very limited skills. This might be due to the fact that there is very little time for computers in the middle years.

I am just so amazed at the extensiveness of computer knowledge. "How do we determine authority and relevancy on the Internet?"(B.Ricketts, 2001). Students must be taught to carefully scrutinize the sites they are accessing on-line. I never gave this much thought, so I guess this was my "aha" moment.

As the article: Developing Critical Literacy Skills for the Internet, we must equip students students with a wide range of skills; locating, analyzing, evaluating, and synthesizing the vast amounts of information available. Traditionally, teachers had to do this for the student by selecting relevant materials for their classes, now that is impossible as there are a multitude of sites that will appear once you begin your search. Knowing the 'know-how' of how to do a research is very important as one doesn't want thousands of infornmation to go through in the search engine.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully your exploration of the MAPping activities gives you some activities to share and discuss with your students. What other teachers on your staff are incorporating these skills? Might be a good discussion point for a staff meeting.
    M

    ReplyDelete